GLWA Water Supply Advisory Council
The recently revised Lead and Copper Rule (LCR) requires utility-level water advisory councils. Water suppliers and water systems with more than 50,000 customers must create a Community Water Advisory Council. The council will advise the utility on communications related to lead in drinking water as well as other drinking water quality issues. Specifically, the advisory council must:
- Develop plans for continuing public awareness about lead in drinking water, even when a lead action level is not exceeded;
- Review public awareness campaign materials provided by the statewide Drinking Water Advisory Council to ensure the needs and interests of the community;
- Advise and consult with the water supply on the development of appropriate plans for remediation and public education to be implemented if a lead action level is exceeded;
- Advise and consult with the water supply on efforts to replace private lead service lines at locations where the owner declined service line replacement;
- Assist in promoting transparency of all data and documents related to lead in drinking water within the water supply service area; and
- Collaborate with local community groups to ensure that residents can be involved in efforts to educate the community about lead in drinking water.
GLWA Water Supply Advisory Council Members
- Edwin Haapala (West Bloomfield Township) – Chair
- Cheryl Porter (Great Lakes Water Authority) – Vice Chair
- Bob Belair (Northville Township) – Community Representative
- Jerome Bivins (City of Inkster) – Community Representative
- Maggie Hughes – Local Resident
- Tim Sikma (City of Wixom) – Community Representative
- Bill Turner (Brownstown Township) – Community Representative
Note: Council meetings are open to the public and must follow the Open Meetings Act.
- August 16, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.
- To be determined
- December 2, 2020 at 9:00 a.m.
- November 7, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
- October 11, 2019, at 10:00 a.m.
Contact Member Outreach at email@example.com or 313-964-9301 with any questions.